I talk a lot about what you can do to nourish your skin. There are many great products with remarkable ingredients that can improve and protect your skin. There are also healthy habits, like wearing sunscreen and washing makeup off at night, that make a big difference. But some of the best ways to enhance your skin actually have to do with what you don't do to it! So here are five things you should never do if you want to maintain healthy, radiant skin.
(1) Never pick at your skin! I know it can be tempting to squeeze a blemish, but you'll only make it worse. You can make an infection more severe or even cause a scar by squeezing a pimple. Endure it in the short term to save your skin in the long term. You can apply green clay to dry it up or use any of the non-toxic over-the-counter drying preparations.
(2) Never use a new product without testing it first. Try it on a small patch of skin on your inner arm. There's nothing worse than having a severe reaction across your entire face.
Revitalize Aging Skin: Overnight
This silky smooth cream contains the latest in apple stem cell skin science to visibly reduce the signs of aging. It also contains Rice bran, Candelilla, Jojoba and 36 more ingredients to add natural moisture and counteract age-causing dehydration. Wake up in the morning to energized, fresher looking skin.
Learn More Now
(3) Never go too long without cleaning your cell phone. Dirt and bacteria accumulate quickly on the screen. Just think about how often you touch it! And pressing the phone to your face during a call transfers that gunk to your skin, causing breakouts. Use speakerphone whenever possible and use a cleansing wipe to keep the screen clean.
(4) Never use expired products. This includes not only cleansers and moisturizers but makeup as well. Eye products in particular should never be used past their expiration date, as they can cause severe irritation and even serious infection. Don't think you're saving money by using expired products. You'll spend far more on products to clear up irritation and infections than you would by simply buying replacements.
(5) Never yo-yo diet. You probably know this is bad for your overall health, but did you know it is also bad for your skin? Eating too little food can cause skin to age faster. Related dehydration increases fine lines and wrinkles. And a lack of nutrients, such as essential fatty acids, means skin looks gaunt instead of plump and healthy. But too much food can lead to bloating, especially if you eat food laden with salt. Both of these states are bad, but bouncing between the two is even worse. When we gain excess weight, the tissues in our skin expands. Then, when we lose weight, especially if we do so quickly, they become lax. Do this too often, and you'll start to see sagging and stretch marks. Instead, reach a healthy weight through a healthy diet and maintain it.
Clearly, having healthy skin habits is just as much a matter of what you don't do as what you do. Stay away from these bad patterns to keep your skin at its best.
To your health, naturally,